Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
May 06, 2024, 11:54:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Desperate people do desperate things!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stress, Memory and String Theory  (Read 4197 times)
MissB
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »

Yesterday I asked my daughter, while on the phone with her, if she checked for something the previous night. She said she had. Last night, after I got home, I doubled checked and it was obvious that she had not. 

So, I sat down and talked with her in a non-confrontational way that would not set off her fear (I was sitting on steps and she was standing so she was eye to eye level with me, my voice was calm and quiet, and I was holding her hands in mine).

When I asked again of she checked, she repeated “yes” and I could tell that she was not lying.  I asked her, once again, to think and remember if she checked; she stopped her "thinking real hard" face came on and then she  replied, “Oh, I’m remembering the wrong day!  I’m remembering last week, not last night.  No, I did not check.”  Now, I know she was not lying to me because she only lies when she is fearful and when she is not fearful she will admit to wrong doing (yes – we’ve gotten that far in the healing process). So, when DSD remembers, she does not do it in a chronological order.  Her memory time line is all jumbled, kind of like a ball of string. 

My husband has CTSD and is affected by memory problems too.  He says its like having Swiss cheese memory. Some times he can remember last week, but can not remember yesterday. (i.e. I first tell him that there is a problem with the lawn mower, then I tell him I cleaned the spark plug and it is working, he will remember only that the lawn mower isn’t working.)

So does stress, and the damaged it does to the memory, cause the brain of a traumatic person to use the recall function the same way as “string theory” of quantum physics is applied?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

It has been a rough week for me both on the Raddercoaster and at work. I needed to amuse myself some how and who better to share my musings with than you all?

Mother to SD14, but prefer to call her DD; who is healing!
Truebluemom
Global Moderator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

Great explanation Miss B.  So impressed at the way you were able to sort through this with her and identify what was happening.  Sounds like a good bonding moment as well.

ds26  - bio (sweetpea)
dd23 - adopted (rad/borderline personality - sociopath)
dd21 - adopted (mildly rad, bipolar, fae?)
ds20 - adopted (sweet pea)

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »

MissB,

So glad you were able to sort things out.

I once saw a PET scan of a RADish childs brain, and it was enlightening.

High levels of cortisol, the stress hormone released when our kiddos experienced trauma, literally eats brain matter.

So absolutely difficulties with memory processing make sense.

When I talk to people now, I try to get them to understand that RAD is more than behaviors.  I believe it is organic brain damage.  Getting people to understand is so very difficult.

btw, loved the link to string theory.

I love reading stuff like that!

blessings

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".
mary anne radmacher
anne
King/Queen

Mood:

Just breathe!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »

Yes, it's been a horrendous week here too, and yes, your string theory makes sense!!   laughing6  We have the same.  I think it's harder with RAD because we are all trying so carefully to not trigger the fight/flight/freeze that comes as gut reaction with fear.  I also think some kiddos have more damage than others, and may never fully recircut their brains.  It's sad.  Great job though on reaching her without triggering things!!!
 blob1 coffee2 coffee2
anne

"Good question! Next Question!
"His grace is sufficient...always strength comes for the task."
"Hope on, Hope ever!"
"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to!"
Darlins are bio sibs -Dd20 (RAD, GAD-NOS, PTSD, Bipolar? ABC?), Ds18 (AD,CP,PDD-NOS,PTSD); adopted at 6 and 3.5 yr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: