Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
May 28, 2024, 11:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look
at what they can do when they stick together."

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positive and Negative Stress Coping Skills  (Read 5395 times)
artsymominnc
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »

http://adsg.org/articles/stress/copingskills.htm

Linda has added an article about stress and coping skills that you all might want to check out!  At the end of the article, she's asked readers to share whatever they feel comfortable sharing in regard to changes that can be made to improve coping strategies. 

I just wanted to share that my worst coping skill has been to blame my son for so many of the sacrifices I have had to make...things I have had to give up...things I don't have time to do. 

I decided a couple of months ago to be a little more pro-active and less resentful.  I'm making deliberate efforts to do a better job of taking care of myself.  I am more inclined to take a short nap in the afternoon when we're having a challenging day rather than having another cup of coffee to boost my energy level. 

I am praying more, exercising more regularly, and maintaining a couple of creative projects which help me feel more productive and energized.  (Writing and art are really important to me, and I'd let those interests slide when things started to get more complicated with my son's needs at school and at home.  I am making time for them again....and it's wonderful!) 

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I am trying to avoid resorting back to blaming my son.  I am trying to put myself in his place, and trying to realize that to whatever feels like stress and fear to me, probably feels like BIG STRESS and BIG FEAR to him.  I can't take that for granted.  I am the adult...he is the child.

I am also making a conscious effort to "talk" less when I recognize that sometimes the conversation is going nowhere.  I am trying to slow down my own thoughts and reflect on what the core of the problem is rather than the symptoms of that moment.

It's a day-by-day process...a marathon...and I'm often very tired at the end of the day, but I'm doign better at getting my priorities straight so that I feel like my energy is well-spent.  The results I am seeing have been encouraging!

Liz
chris28
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »

Thanks, Liz, for bringing this article to my attention. I've printed it out and will be back in a few days to discuss it with you.

One positive thing I've done it find a respite place for me to go! My cousin has an apartment in the next town that is usually empty on the weekends, and she has made it available to me. I'm still having a hard time making myself take advantage of it as often as I need to, but I'm working on it!

Hugs,
Chris

Don't tell me to relax....it's my stress that's holding me together!
chris28
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:02:24 AM »

http://adsg.org/articles/stress/copingskills.htm

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I am trying to avoid resorting back to blaming my son.  I am trying to put myself in his place, and trying to realize that to whatever feels like stress and fear to me, probably feels like BIG STRESS and BIG FEAR to him.  I can't take that for granted.  I am the adult...he is the child.

I am also making a conscious effort to "talk" less when I recognize that sometimes the conversation is going nowhere.  I am trying to slow down my own thoughts and reflect on what the core of the problem is rather than the symptoms of that moment.

It's a day-by-day process...a marathon...and I'm often very tired at the end of the day, but I'm doign better at getting my priorities straight so that I feel like my energy is well-spent.  The results I am seeing have been encouraging!

Liz

I haven't had the uninterrupted time this weekend to really study Linda's article, but I did find myself trying to pay attention to how I reacted to stress. Boy, can it be embarrassing Embarrassed to really see yourself! I criticize often in response to stress. LIke if I can 'blame' someone else, I can justify my being stressed, and my reaction to it. I also get angry.

But I am now trying to just shut my mouth and try to see and feel what the real problem is. Trying to see past my ds behaviors and remind myself they are his response to stress and trauma.

Just got the Beyond Logic book and dh and I will both be reading it. Also got the Feelings Buried Alive Never Die for us both to read, too.

Lots of changes needed here, and I'm praying we're on the right path.

Thanks, Liz and Linda, for the encouragement.

Hugs,
Chris

artsymominnc
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:04:13 AM »

Chris, I can appreciate all too well the feeling of embarrassment when I realize how badly I am sometimes handling my stress.   Embarrassed  Let's face it...it's easier to handle stress when there's less of it to handle, but as the cliche goes, "when it rains, it pours!" 

A few weeks ago I felt like things were much more manageable than they've been lately.  Homeschooling was going well.  I was making time for exercising and personal interests.  I was even doing a better job of setting aside quiet time for prayer.  Then all of a sudden, life got very "busy" again, and I've had plenty of moments lately when I've wished for a chance to do something over because I know that my own frazzled stress responses just made matters worse.

There are a number of specific stress factors that I'm dealing with...some from a distance and on a more occasional basis...like the fact that my mom's health has not been good and she lives 1,00 miles away.  Others are part of the day-to-day grind...like the stresses of homeschooling my two boys.  (My 11-year-old bio son is gifted.  My 9-year-old adopted son has multiple special needs.)  On top of that, my husband's work schedule keeps him away from home 10-12 hours/day, and that makes for some very LONG days if things aren't going well!

The fact of the matter is that when I start slipping in how I'm handling one particular stress, I usually start to have trouble handling them all. 

Ironically too, the more I'm trying to make a conscious effort to do something specific to manage my stress, like exercising, the more stressed I feel when something is getting in the way of my being able to maintain that effort.  That's not good...but that's kind of where I find myself lately. 

I need a vacation so badly, and ironically, I had scheduled a whole week of vacation time from our homeschooling routine the week of October 8-12.  It turned out to be a very stress-filled week.  My younger son never deals well with "vacation."  The more I tried to sell the idea that this was a good thing, the more I felt like I should be apologizing for putting him through the week of play time because he was dysregulated about anything and everything that I did or didn't do. 

We're back to the school routine again this week, and it's been another rough week because he had to deal with a Cub Scout outing to a corn maze Tuesday night, and then it was my older son's birthday this past Thursday.  We spent the day traveling to the Pisgah National Forest where there's an education center that does programs for kids.  We attended a class about monarch butterflies.  It had all the potential to be a nice family day, but for days leading up to it, younger son was a mess!  The trip..the attention his brother was getting...the change in routine...etc.  Yesterday got off to a rough start trying to get back to school again...but we eventually managed to pull it off.  School work is done for another week.

I guess my point continues to be that nothing about stress management is easy.   I am all too aware that if I am not handling my stress well, I can't expect to be much help to my younger son when he's dysregulated.  Sometimes it boils down to recognizing that I really have to deal with my stress first even if it means ignoring his for a while....which isn't easy!

My time is up....another day begins.  I'm going to try to make it a good one. 

Liz     
chris28
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »

I guess my point continues to be that nothing about stress management is easy.   I am all too aware that if I am not handling my stress well, I can't expect to be much help to my younger son when he's dysregulated.  Sometimes it boils down to recognizing that I really have to deal with my stress first even if it means ignoring his for a while....which isn't easy!

My time is up....another day begins.  I'm going to try to make it a good one.  Liz     

That's the attitude to have, Liz!! One day at at time (okay, sometimes it's one hour at at time! Wink)

Deep breathing helps me slow down, and I've been using therapeutic essential oils for both me and my ds to help us deal with the stress. I also use it to help ds concentrate better when we do school.

It has helped me to keep reminding myself that the behaviors I see in ds are really coming from the scared little boy inside my 15yro.

Hugs,
Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: