Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
May 07, 2024, 05:20:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness."  George Orwell

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's something interesting  (Read 8208 times)
diane
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »

I lost my father three years ago to Alzheimer's.  Immediately after, my mother moved to assisted living, and then to a nursing home.  Meanwhile, we left our little house and wonderful neighbors and moved to my mom's house.  We lost the kids' school, our church, and our friends; we even lost our grocery store and our neighborhood park.  We had to put two dogs to sleep. 

That was the first year.

This past summer, my brother-in-law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died seven weeks later.  Seven weeks after that, my mother died.  She had Alzheimer's, too.  At the end, she was so agitated and out of control that she was on both Risperdal and Ativan every hour.  I finally made the decision to have her drugged so she rested, knowing full well that she would end up not eating or drinking and would eventually pass away.

The past two months, I have been going through the normal grief process, including anger and denial.  However, I have had some unusual symptoms, too, which I have since found out were normal, like being really aware of my heartbeat.  I have had panic attacks, and am taking Xanax for those.  Today in church, the priest talked about forgiving ourselves, and I started to cry.  I realized I felt guilty, and I couldn't say why. 

I looked over at the munchkin, twitching and picking himself, and I realized that he probably feels the same way a good deal of the time.  All that emotion, and no idea why.  And he has no idea what "normal" feels like. 

For me, a revelation.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, screaming WOO HOO! What a ride!
justine
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

The voice of reason....gone amok

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:44:10 PM »

Oh my, Diane.   No wonder you are "aware of your heartbeat"....you have been through so much.    I am glad you can see a bit into the heart/mind of your son, even if only briefly, and share for a moment some of his angst.    These are very very stressful events, even if you think you are coping well.   Sometimes the body deals for us, and it takes awhile for it all to catch up to our minds.    Hope you are taking good care of yourself!    love9

bio dd35  freakishly sweet 
bio ds32  recklessly loving
bio ds27  frightfully kind
adopted sibling group at ages 10, 6 and 4
worstrad30  adopted at age 10, left family at age 18
ads27  FAE/rad, we're still looking for a conscience, estranged
add24 P/A Rad.  Unattached, wants the family bene
karleen
Spam Watcher
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »

((((((((((((((((((((diane))))))))))))))))))))  I so wish I could reach through cyber-space and give you real hugs, and a real sholder to cry on.  What a difficult and sad 3 years you have had.  I pray you are doing your best to take care of yourself.

What a great God we have, that He can use our grief and pain to show us something we need to see about someone else.  Sounds like you have a precious insight into your ds.  I pray this will in some way help you to touch his heart.

karleen
dw of dh, mom to bio sweetpea ds20 and twin adopted ds18

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Truebluemom
Global Moderator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Diane))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Praying for you and hoping that you begin some years of joyful blessings.

ds26  - bio (sweetpea)
dd23 - adopted (rad/borderline personality - sociopath)
dd21 - adopted (mildly rad, bipolar, fae?)
ds20 - adopted (sweet pea)

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »

(((((((((((((((((((diane))))))))))))))))))

So very sorry for your losses.

Lord,
Fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff & shut it when I've said enough.  Amen

3 bio sons & Rad DD
Jeannie
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »

Hugs from here, too, Diane.  (((((((((((((())))))))))))))

Please know that we care.  Thanks for sharing the insight about your DS.  You're a good mom, and a good friend to us here.  I have been helped countless times by the things you share.  Thanks!

Bio-daughters 30 & 28, bio-son now in heaven, dear son 14 (healing from alphabet soup disorder)
ellasmom
Earl/Countess

Mood:

"Rejoice in the LORD always...again I say Rejoice"

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »

I have nothing more to offer than (((((((((((((((((((((((((((( love9)))))))))))))))))))))))))

" and the drip goes on..." sung to the tune of Cher's song 'and the beat goes on'
maeve
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »

Of course I also send (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( love9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).  More importantly I'm amazed by your insight and empathy for your son.  I didn't make that connection a few years ago when I had a similarly crazy life.  I wish I'd made it then, but thank you for giving me one more reason to try to "get it" for my girl.  Panic attacks are terrible things; I hated them.  And I think you're right, these kids feel like this a lot of the time.  Trauma is a terrible thing as well. 

Mom of five, two bios and three adopted, all adults.

Let your life speak
mcguigak

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:08 AM »

Wow!  How insightful.  Interesting that you got that revelation in church.  I think those times are little messages from God.  He knows what we need and when. 

I am also so sorry you have been thru all of that.  I think about this Bible verse often when things are their hardest:

These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.   1 Peter 1:7
I too sometimes see in my kids just how lost they are when we react with feeling and they cannot.  It is incredibly sad.  I often think that some of the hurt they cause is because they cannot stand to see that in us and mad is so much easier than sad for them.

dw of dh 27 years 3 adopted
bio sibs ds 18 RAD, dd17 attached
dd17 adopted from Russia at 11 currently at children's home  RAD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: