Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 28, 2024, 01:38:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Desperate people do desperate things!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind--Purpose Driven Life Devotional  (Read 5244 times)
artsymominnc
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:07:00 AM »

Jesus Heals A Man Born Blind
by Jon Walker

“Teacher,” his disciples asked him, “why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?” “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him.” (John 9:2-3 NLT)

It was a frustrating situation, and I was looking for someone to blame: "Maybe it was his fault, maybe it was her fault, maybe it was their fault." I even thought, "Maybe it’s my fault," so I figuratively kicked myself a few times.

In one of my clearer moments, I told a friend, “I really want to find someone to blame in this situation, but there’s just no one to blame. It’s just one of those things that happen.”

“The truth is,” I added, “God keeps reminding me that he has the power to change this situation immediately, so it doesn’t matter if anyone is at fault, God is still in control.”

When they came upon a man who’d been blind since birth, Jesus' disciples were looking for someone to blame. They started a prosecution of blame: “Maybe he’s blind because he sinned? Maybe he’s blind because of something his parent’s did?"

Eugene Peterson suggests that Jesus' response to the question could be paraphrased, “You're asking the wrong question. You're looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what God can do.” (John 9:1-4 MSG)

Look instead for what God can do.

Look upon the things above – the power and strength and majesty of our loving Heavenly Father – and get yours eyes off the things below – your circumstances, your weakness, your fears (Colossians 3:2 HCSB)

We look upon the things above because we “must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent me, because there is little time left before the night falls and all work comes to an end.” (John 9:4 NLT) There’s no time to search for blame; there’s no time to figure it all out before we carry out our tasks.

Instead, we’re to look for what God can do; we’re to rely God’s faithfulness, knowing that he’s got it all under control and we are safest when we stay in obedience to him. If we, who are sinful, know how to give good gifts to our children, how much more will our heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him? (Luke 11:9-13, adapted from NLT)

As we learn to trust God, we can echo Paul’s thoughts, learning to be content in whatever circumstances we’re in. (Philippians 4:12 HCSB)

What does this mean?

· Look through to God – Look through your circumstances to God. He could change them immediately, so instead of asking, “Why me?” ask, “What do you want me to do, Lord? What are you trying to teach me?”

· 'Deep calling to deep' – Determine that, instead of blaming someone for your situation, you’ll expend your energy on deepening your relationship with God. Look through the Psalms and see how David cried out to God, honestly, sometime angrily, because of his circumstance. Yet this conversation with God drew him into a closer relationship with the Almighty. David became a man after God’s own heart.

· Life is hard, yet Jesus lives – Accept that the sun shines on both those who chase after God and those who defiantly run from him. Job, as he scraped the sores on his skin, having lost virtually everything, said, “Should we accept only good from God and not adversity?” (Job 2:10b)

· Push on with your mission – Don’t get distracted from your purpose, from the tasks God wants you to complete before the “night falls.” (John 9:4)

All of us stand on the shoulders of Christians, past and present, learning from them how to deepen our walk with God. This devotional was inspired by a friend of mine, Michael O’Neal, a church planter in Nashville, Tennessee (peacecc.org).

© 2008 Purpose Driven Life. All rights reserved.
Pastor Jon Walker is a writer for www.GraceCreates.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: