Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 28, 2024, 11:54:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness."  George Orwell

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "To-Be List"  (Read 5269 times)
artsymominnc
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »

When the Holy Spirit controls our lives He will produce this kind of fruit in us: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control. Galatians 5:22-23

Nearly all of us face our day with a "to-do list."  The Scriptures compel us, however, to have a "to-be list."

While it may be important to accomplish certain tasks, engage in certain projects, or have certain encounters during a day, what is more important for eternity is the person we are throughout the day.

From a "to-do" perspective, we tend to come before the Lord and say, "This is my list, and this is my schedule.  Please be with me, help me, and bless me."

From a "to-be" perspective, we might make these requests of the Lord:

**Help me to reflect Your love today.

**Help me to display Your joy.

**Help me to manifest Your peace.

**Help me to practice Your patience.

**Help me to express Your kindness.

**Help me to know Your goodness.

**Help me to know Your faithfulness.

**Help me to show your gentleness.

**Help me to exhibit Your self-control.

Wishful thinking does not produce these traits, however.  They come from a life lived in communication with the Lord.  They are the distinguishing marks of His presence in our lives.  Our "to-be" list, therefore, must always begin with an invitation to the Holy Spirit to inspire us and impel us toward good works.

In order to express the Lord's kindness, for example, we must first see ourselves as receiving the Lord's kindness.  In receiving His kindness, we become much more attuned to opportunities in which we might show His kindness to others.  "Being kind" becomes a part of everything we do.  The way we do our chores, hold our meetings, run our errands, and engage in our projects display His kindness to those around us.

When we make our "to-be" list our top priority, the things we have "to do" become much more obvious--and far less burdensome.

He who labors as he prays lifts his heart to God with his hands.  Saint Bernard

(an excerpt from Quiet Moments with God for Mothers Honor Books, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: