Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
April 26, 2024, 04:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:9

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grief  (Read 12984 times)
cherylbnj
Earl/Countess

Mood:

"better living through chemistry!"

Awards
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »

I found this somewhat enlightening.  Hope you find comfort in this essay as well.  Although it was written from the experience of a Jewish person, I believe the message is extremely nonsectarian.

Facing Grief
Staying Functional and Faithful

By Dr. Miriam Adahan

"I crush you and I heal you" (Deut. 32:39).

Once, a few weeks before Passover, I was hit with a bout of vertigo. My doctor could find no reason for the problem, which left me dizzy, tired and off-balance. She said it could be permanent, or it could disappear as suddenly as it had appeared. In addition to trying various non-conventional remedies, I decided to treat the problem as I have dealt with many grief experiences in the past, i.e. divert my attention and maintain my regular schedule of activities to whatever extent possible. Yes, the illness influenced me, but I did not want to let it define me. Getting through the day on what felt like an unsteady boat tossed by high waves was not easy. It took extra effort to stay focused when talking to people. While shopping, I bumped into a couple of glass doors that I didn't even see. Twice, I fell down a flight of stairs, but thankfully broke nothing. I learned to juggle; to rest and respect the illness, yet to stay disciplined. After about a month, the symptoms began to fade until I was left with only lingering traces of this unwelcome visitor.

I often use this example with people who are grieving a loss. Whether we are dealing with sudden grief, due to the loss of a loved one, a job or a home or on-going grief due to abuse, chronic illness or the loss of a dream, a broken heart requires time to heal. And sometimes, that takes an entire lifetime.

King Solomon said, "No man dies with even half his heart's desires fulfilled" (Midrash on Ecclesiastices 1:13). This means that we are all grieving our own particular losses. I imagine that I have a "box" in my heart where I put my own unfulfilled dreams. After all, we all get battered, betrayed, abandoned and abused at times. The greater the loss, the harder we must fight on two fronts: a) to stay physically functional and b) to strengthen our faith.

Perhaps the hardest thing about grief is that we have no idea it will strike or how long it will last. Seeing others with whatever it is that we do not have or hearing a favorite song can trigger intense grief. As we struggle to stay afloat, people around us expect us to continue to chat politely and act normally just when we are feeling least polite or normal. It's like walking on prostheses instead of having functioning legs.

Any loss, especially one involving the loss of love, independence, structure or identity, causes a temporary loss of balance—physically, emotionally and spiritually. Perhaps the hardest thing about grief is that we have no idea it will strike or how long it will last.The body does not want to move. Moments of acceptance are interspersed with emotions that range from apathy to rage. Acts which we did so spontaneously, from brushing our teeth to preparing a meal, suddenly take enormous effort. The words of prayer, which once touched us so deeply, may suddenly seem empty and meaningless. We may feel wooden and robot-like, as if all vitality has been drained from our bodies. We wonder when we will "get back to normal," not realizing that "normal" will now have a new definition and that it takes time to adjust to living with pain.

This process cannot be forced. People often wonder, "Why can't I just snap back to my old self?" But this is not what G‑d wants. He wants us to use the pain to develop a deeper level of faith and gain understandings we did not possess before. We must allow ourselves to feel the pain in all its intensity and, at the same time, honor our new strengths. If not, we are likely to want to drown out the pain with emotion-deadening pills or engage in other forms of escapism.

One reason that this adjustment period takes time is due to the fact that when the nervous system suffers a shock, the body is flooded with stress hormones, such as cortisol and adrenaline. These hormones destroy cells in a specific area of the brain which controls memory and focusing. It takes two years for these cells to regenerate after a severe shock, such as a sudden death, betrayal or other major loss.

Anyone who has ever had an operation remembers that dreaded moment when the nurse walked in and cheerily said, "Time to get off the bed!" When we looked at her in disbelief, she said, "If you don't move, your lungs and muscles will suffer." Then she gently and compassionately (hopefully!) got you up and moving. This is the same process we must do with ourselves – respect our limitations, while pushing ourselves forward.

The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is very helpful in dealing with grief. With this technique, we first acknowledge our feelings and then we repeat positive and empowering words over and over (hundreds of times a day!) to strengthen our faith as we learn to adjust. Here are some EFT thoughts:

1. LET GO: Tell yourself, "Although I want this pain to be over already, the healing process is not within my control. G‑d decides how long it will take. My job is to 'Trust G‑d and do good' (Psalms 37:3). If I do my work, He will heal me at the rate He thinks is best."

2. MAKE A PLACE IN YOUR HEART FOR THE PAIN: Tell yourself, "Even though I fear that I will always feel broken and miserable, I choose to make room in my heart for faith and gratitude, even if I can only manage 1% at a time."

3. DO NOT LET THE PAIN DEFINE YOU: Tell yourself, "Despite the pain, I choose to accept my pain, yet not be defined by it. I am greater than this grief."

4. BE PATIENT. Tell yourself, "Despite my stormy emotions, I choose to face the inner turbulence with faith and tranquility, knowing that I have within me all the healing resources I need to use this trauma for self-transformation."

5. STAY ACTIVE: Tell yourself, "Despite my fears of going insane and being trapped in sorrow, I can, at any given moment, think a positive thought or do an act of kindness or self-control which will reveal my inner strengths and build my sense of identity and self-worth."

6. WORK ON 1% TRUST AT A TIME: "Even though I don't understand why this happened and feel so distant from G‑d, I choose to build my faith bit by bit, 1% at a time, trusting – just 1% – that this is for my best and highest good and that G‑d can heal my heart, for He is the healer of broken hearts (Psalms)."

7. FEEL LOVED: Tell yourself, "Even though I am upset that I'm not getting all the love and understanding I want from people, I choose to know that only G‑d can provide consistently reliable love and that He can fill me with love this second."

8. FEEL GRATEFUL: Tell yourself, "Despite the pain and bitterness, I choose to be grateful for the smallest goodness in my life. I can look around whatever room I am in and think of the possessions I am grateful for or be grateful for every part of my body that is working or be grateful for any moment of pleasure, no matter how empty and meaningless it seems in comparison to the enormity of my grief."

If you are grieving a loss at this time, remember that all pain, whether physical or emotional, is an opportunity to develop self-discipline and faith. Notice all the little "victories" you have during the day which prove that you are courageous, kind and responsible. You will have brought greater light into your life.

Cheryl

Bio DD 27 sweetpea - getting married 10/2013
Adopted DS20 at 10 mos; RAD, FAS, ODD, CD, ADHD and probably a bunch more. And now that he's 20, the diagnosis of sociopath can now officially be applied.
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »

Tears are streaming down my face.

I so much need this lesson right now.

This is where I am right now with my feelings about my son.

Thank you.

blessings

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".
mary anne radmacher
DianeM2
Baron/Baroness

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:35:08 PM »

Thanks for sharing that Cheryl.  What an enlightening message and one I may come back to read often.

Diane
DS18, adopted age 4, RAD, ADHD, Bi-Polar, PTSD, ARND, Static Encephalopathy, phonological disorder, dysthymia, history of abuse and neglect.  DS currently in Juvenile Corrections Facility.
"Lord help me to start this day with a new attitude and plenty of gratitude."
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:54:23 AM »

"The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is very helpful in dealing with grief."

Because there seem to be so many parents in pain right now, I thought I'd post the info on EFT again.  I have used it myself to grieve a loss that was buried for 30 years.  It was better than therapy (relief in a matter of a few hours) & it's free!  I hope someone finds this helpful.

http://www.emofree.com/newcomer.htm

Lord,
Fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff & shut it when I've said enough.  Amen

3 bio sons & Rad DD
justine
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

The voice of reason....gone amok

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »

Thank you so much CHeryl and Ma...i missed this post the first time around.   Many of the ideas written here remind me of the horrible time when my last baby was stillborn at almost 6 mos pregnancy.   There were other circumstances that made the loss almost unbearable.   I was fascinated to read this essay and remember that my heart understood instinctively that i had to do SOMETHING while i grieved.

I did those "little things" day so i kept functioning.   For 18 months, every morning and each night,  I made myself say, "God is Good."

It was all i could bear.   Then i discovered that it was enough for God.   And that made me work on that "1%" of trust each day.

And then in Radland, after years of learning to hate my limitations, i began to learn to be kind to myself, and patient.

It is amazing to read the similarities.   God is all around us, eh?

bio dd35  freakishly sweet 
bio ds32  recklessly loving
bio ds27  frightfully kind
adopted sibling group at ages 10, 6 and 4
worstrad30  adopted at age 10, left family at age 18
ads27  FAE/rad, we're still looking for a conscience, estranged
add24 P/A Rad.  Unattached, wants the family bene
DianeM2
Baron/Baroness

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

Many of the ideas written here remind me of the horrible time when my last baby was stillborn at almost 6 mos pregnancy.   There were other circumstances that made the loss almost unbearable.   I was fascinated to read this essay and remember that my heart understood instinctively that i had to do SOMETHING while i grieved.

If you can stand it, I'd like to share more on this. :wave:Me again laughing6

I have always struggled with the saying, "God does not give you more than you can bare."  I had two ectopic or tubal pregnancies.  Everyone around me was popping out babies like there was no tomorrow.  I felt anger, sorrow, envy....
I was heartbroken over losing two babies. 

Now, this may sound weird, but I have a terrible fear of dying.  (Lessened now with my Celexa that I am on.)  But I have found that now that I am over the grief I felt in losing two babies, that I have something to look forward to when I die....there will be two babies that I will meet for the first time.  It kind of takes away my fear.  Maybe that was one test I had to pass.  And although at the time, I never  thought I could get over the pain....I DID!  So God did not give me more than I could handle.

After overcoming that sorrow, I found myself consoling and reaching out to others that had miscarried or were going through infertility. 

Living through RAD on the other dx of Dear son, I find I am reaching out to help others through this nightmare to the best of my abilities.

I believe we are tested through fire in this life.  Because of this, I believe I have somehow found my "calling" for this world.  That I can relate to, counsel, advocate, have compassion and understanding for others.  I am a good shoulder and a patient "ear".  When I am feeling unworthy, I remind myself of this and try to carry out this "misssion" LOL , with humility and thankfulness that I can maybe, just maybe help someone else!  I humbly hope that I am this kind of person for all of you here, who I am learning to love so much!

Diane
DS18, adopted age 4, RAD, ADHD, Bi-Polar, PTSD, ARND, Static Encephalopathy, phonological disorder, dysthymia, history of abuse and neglect.  DS currently in Juvenile Corrections Facility.
"Lord help me to start this day with a new attitude and plenty of gratitude."
justine
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

The voice of reason....gone amok

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:58 PM »

And so you are dear Diane.   And thank you for sharing that part of your life with us here.   coffee2 love9 Smiley

bio dd35  freakishly sweet 
bio ds32  recklessly loving
bio ds27  frightfully kind
adopted sibling group at ages 10, 6 and 4
worstrad30  adopted at age 10, left family at age 18
ads27  FAE/rad, we're still looking for a conscience, estranged
add24 P/A Rad.  Unattached, wants the family bene
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: