Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
May 01, 2024, 08:20:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Fear leads to Anger.  Anger leads to Hate.  Hate leads to suffering." 

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killer Stress: A National Geographic special  (Read 2497 times)
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Am watching this special right now on pbs and it is excellent.  Research going on with children conceived under stress, caregivers taking care of special needs children, and the effects of stress and health.

It takes it down to the cellular level and what is going on.

Am now looking for the names of the researchers and their published research.

They just said that one of the things that helps mothers under stress is to meet in groups and it actually drops stress level chemistry.

Will keep watching,

blessings

Killer Stress: A National Geographic Special

Tuesday, September 30, 11:00pm

CHANNEL 12 (NET1)

Neurobiologist Robert Sapolsky ("Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers") explores the corrosive effects that stress can have on health.

CC, Stereo TVPG

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".
mary anne radmacher
Don M
Duke /Duchess

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »

Sorry I missed it.  Several other of the specials are available from the National Geographic directly, and some through PBS.  Maybe this one will appear there.

There were several airings in the last couple weeks, but it looks like Oct 1 was the last for the moment.
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:14 PM »

DonM,

shoppbs.com for the dvd.

I have been reading some articles online.

Nothing very surprising, just glad to see research that might lead to some more evidence based treatment modalities and possibly even some pharmaceutical interventions that might correct abnormal brain chemistry.

blessings

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".
mary anne radmacher
traci
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

I caught a little bit of that when it was on one of the major channels a couple of weeks ago, describing how the zebra uses flight or fight when in danger and only in danger and when out of danger is very calm. We stay triggered in the flight or fight by our emotions. Our body literally shuts down, I remember them saying, "If your in danger your heart and lungs work harder, but it shuts down things like ovulation because you don't need to ovulate when your in danger etc, etc, wish I could have watched more.

Hebrews 13:5-6 Amplified Bible
for He God Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will Not, I will Not, I will Not in any degree leave you helpeless nor forsake nor let you down nor relax my hold on you ASSUREDLY NOT.

A ds 17
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: