Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
April 19, 2024, 09:52:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Desperate people do desperate things!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today in Christian History  (Read 340691 times)
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Love is Patient, Love is Kind... 1 Cor 13

WWW Awards
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »

Saw this idea and think it is a great one.  This is a game that just keeps going and going...The day you post, name some christian history that happened on the exact month and day, but however many years ago.

You can only post one history point at a time, and you cannot post 2 in a row.  ex. if you post something for 1/1/ then you can't post anything else for 1/1/ ; other people can but you would have to wait until the next day to post again.  Each post can only have one history item in it.  It can be anything that has to do with christianity.

some examples:

on Nov 3,  a post could be: November 3, 1966: John Lennon tells reporters that his band, the Beatles, is "more popular than Jesus," touching off a firestorm of controversy.

On Nov 10,  a post could be: November 10, 1483: German reformer Martin Luther is born in Eisleben, Germany. (see issue 34: Luther's Early Years).

on Nov 4,  a post could be: November 4, 1646: The Massachusetts Bay Colony makes it a capital offense to deny that the Bible is the Word of God.

and so forth.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:27:34 AM by adsglinda » Logged
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:59:16 AM »

ok, I'll start it off:

November 11, 1620 The Pilgrims on the Mayflower sat down to decide how to prevent anarchy as a result of having landed in an area not covered by their "patent."  The result was the composition of a compact signed by all the men creating the first Christian foundation for civil government in this  country.  It began "In ye name of God, amen" and included these words, "For the glorie of God, and advancement of ye Christian faith...doe by these presents solemnly & mutually in ye presence of God, and one of another, covenant & combine our selves togeather into a civill body politick...."
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »

November 11, 1760

English founder of Methodism John Wesley wrote in a letter: 'You cannot live on what He did yesterday. Therefore He comes today.'

Lord,
Fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff & shut it when I've said enough.  Amen

3 bio sons & Rad DD
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:39:18 PM »

November 12, 1660:

John Bunyan is arrested for unlicensed preaching and sentenced to prison. While incarcerated, he penned Pilgrim's Progess and Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, the greatest Puritan spiritual autobiography.

MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »

November 13, 1962

The name of St. Joseph was added to the canon of the Roman Catholic mass. It constituted the first alteration made to this canon since the seventh century.

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »

November 13, 354:

Augustine of Hippo, the greatest of the Latin church fathers and author of Confessions and City of God, is born in Thagaste—modern Souq Ahras, Algeria
luvmyboy
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »

Stars Fall From Heaven
In 1833, the last of the signs appeared which were promised by the Saviour as tokens of his second advent. Said Jesus, "The stars shall fall from heaven." Matt. 24:29. And John in the Revelation declared, as he beheld in vision the scenes that herald the day of God: "The stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig-tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind." Rev. 6:13. This prophecy received a striking and impressive fulfillment in the great meteoric shower of November 13, 1833. That was the most extensive and wonderful display of falling stars which has ever been recorded; "the whole firmament, over all the United States, being then, for hours, in fiery commotion.

The shooting stars were so numerous that a newspaper could be read at night.No celestial phenomenon has ever occurred in this country, since its first settlement, which was viewed with such intense admiration by one class in the community, or such dread and alarm by another." "Its sublimity and awful beauty still linger in many minds. . . . Never did rain fall much thicker than the meteors fell toward the earth; east, west, north, and south, it was the same. In a word, the whole heavens seemed in motion. . . . The display, as described in Professor Silliman's journal, was seen all over North America. . . . From two o'clock until broad daylight, the sky being perfectly serene and cloudless, an incessant play of dazzlingly brilliant luminosities was kept up in the whole heavens."

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com/JesusChrist/shootingstars.asp

Married to dh 37 yrs.
2 stepdaughters, 45, 41 - no contact
ds 43 kind and loving, married 2 yr
ds 41 responsible, married, 2 gc
dd 33 single, RRFTBA
ds 11 adopted RAD
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:49 AM »

November 14,  1739:

English revivalist George Whitefield wrote in his journal: 'We can preach the Gospel of Christ no further than we have experienced the power of it in our own hearts.'
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »

November 18, 1095:

Pope Urban II opens the Council of Clermont to reform the Church and to plan the First Crusade. The 200 bishops attending the council decreed that those traveling to Jerusalem would be granted a plenary indulgence.
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:51:57 PM »

Nov. 18, 1626

In Rome, the newly completed St Peter's Basilica was consecrated by Urban VIII. St. Peter's is presently the largest church in Christendom, with a length of 619 feet.

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »

Nov. 19, 1885

Birth of Haldor Lillenas, American hymnwriter. He penned nearly 4,000 Gospel texts and hymn tunes during his lifetime, including "It Is Glory Just to Walk With Him," Wonderful Grace of Jesus" and "Peace, Peace, Wonderful Peace."

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »

Nov. 20,  1541

In Switzerland, French reformer John Calvin, 32, established a theocratic government at Geneva, thereby creating a home base for emergent Protestantism throughout Europe.

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »

Nov. 21, 1948

The Sunday morning religious program "Lamp Unto My Feet" first aired over CBS television. It became one of TV's longest-running network shows, and aired through January 1979.

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 07:22:21 AM »

Nov. 22,1963

Death of C.S. Lewis, 65, Anglican scholar, novelist and Christian apologist. Well_known for his children's classic, "The Chronicles of Narnia" (1950-56), Lewis also penned other Christian classics, including "The Screwtape Letters" (1943) and "The Great Divorce" (1946).

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
MaKettle
Spam Watcher
King/Queen

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »

Nov. 23 1947

E. L. Sukenik of Jerusalem's Hebrew University first received word of the existence of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The documents, dating between 200 BC and AD 70, had been accidentally discovered the previous winter (1946-47) by two Bedouin shepherds in the vicinity of Qumran.

Lord,

3 bio sons & Rad DD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: