Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 28, 2024, 10:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the NEW forum for Trauma Headquarters and ADSG!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Resolution Worth Keeping--Purpose Driven Life Devotional  (Read 14814 times)
artsymominsc
Oldtimer

Awards
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:55:43 AM »

A Resolution Worth Keeping
by Jon Walker

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2 (NIV)

Today’s guest devotional is from Jon Walker.

How are you doing with your New Year’s resolutions? You remember that list you made with optimistic enthusiasm but unrealistic expectations.

One of my friends started making New Year’s resolutions like, “I won’t lose ten pounds this year,” and “I commit to watching the Super Bowl this year.”

I suspect Paul only had one resolution on his list: “This year I resolve to know nothing but Christ and him crucified” (1 Corinthians 2:2).

Paul’s message is radically simple: Salvation is in Christ alone. What does this mean?

It’s not Christ plus your good behavior.

It’s not Christ plus the number of Bible verses you memorize.

It’s not Christ plus your tithe or the church you attend.

It’s not Christ plus wisdom from the latest Christian seminar.

It’s simply Christ plus nothing. Christ and Christ alone.

© 2009 Purpose Driven Life. All rights reserved.

Truebluemom
Global Moderator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:39:32 AM »

Came across this while working on some spam.  It struck me, so thought I'd respond to it.

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2 (NIV)

This verse is more about who I know than what I know.  I've had a desire to know God since I was in my teens.  I have gone to many different types of churches looking for more of Him.  I went to seminary to figure out how to serve Him.  I have studied the bible, taught the bible, followed the rules - all to know Him and please Him.

After trying all of this with inconsistent results, I have concluded that God just wants to be in my life.  He is not revealing or withholding Himself from me based on what I do.  He doesn't give me blessings when I am "good" and get mad and punish me when I mess up.  I am screwed up.  That's a given, dealt with fully on the cross.  He isn't keeping score.  He just loves me.

In the garden when Adam and Eve sinned, they hid from God in shame.  God, fully knowing what they had done, came to hang out with them.  How often has my search for a relationship with God been frustrated by shame and fear of rejection?  I wonder now if the distance I've felt was more about my own desire to be presentable and bring something of value, when all he wants is me.

Every wrong turn or disappointment is forcing me to let go of trying to create a relationship with God based on my standards.   Jesus died so I could know him.  There is no standard - it is finished.  I don't always trust him, but he seems to be there waiting whenever come out of hiding to resume our walk.

I am resolved to know Jesus.

ds26  - bio (sweetpea)
dd23 - adopted (rad/borderline personality - sociopath)
dd21 - adopted (mildly rad, bipolar, fae?)
ds20 - adopted (sweet pea)

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
neitlingme
King/Queen

Mood:

One tiny step at a time...

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »

Very Nice, True...

and very true.  Wonderful insight! 

Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids!

2 Bio sons 7 & 9-sweetpeas
DN17- ADHD, RAD, Bipolar and possibly FAE
SS21-sweetpea (ok, at HKU) with some attachment issues due to divorce--currently enrolled in HKU
Jeannie
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

Trueblue, I'm coming to understand the very same thing.

Actually, this life in RADland (or whatever we want to call it) has been instrumental.  My constant failure (to love without return, to do what I know is right, to make the hard decisions..... and on and on....) cannot be hidden.  My reputation as a good Christian woman, wife and mother is tarnished.

I see myself more clearly, and am ashamed.

Then I look away from the mirror and see Jesus, who's been there all along.   And He loves me, and understands my pain, and is using it to strip away the things that keep me from Him.

I know so little, really.  But knowing Him is enough.

Bio-daughters 30 & 28, bio-son now in heaven, dear son 14 (healing from alphabet soup disorder)
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »

True,

I have concluded that God just wants to be in my life.

This is beautiful. 

blessings

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".
mary anne radmacher
Truebluemom
Global Moderator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »

Neitling, Jeannie and blessings - Thanks for the responses and glad it's resonating with you.  

ds26  - bio (sweetpea)
dd23 - adopted (rad/borderline personality - sociopath)
dd21 - adopted (mildly rad, bipolar, fae?)
ds20 - adopted (sweet pea)

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »

True,

The timing is perfect.

As you know, I have been very ill.  I am pretty much house bound and can only leave for a few hours at a time.

Attending worship services is just too much right now.  I have not been in weeks as I have been so sick.

Daily I pray that God accepts my life as an act of worship as I do know that there are consequences for "forsaking the assembly".  That being said, I also know that God knows my heart.

Words like yours, and posts like this, remind me that I am Gods, no matter where, no matter when.

And like Jeannie said, knowing Him is enough.

So glad for words of encouragement like this.

blessings

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".
mary anne radmacher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: