Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
May 02, 2024, 01:46:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Fear leads to Anger.  Anger leads to Hate.  Hate leads to suffering." 

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is trauma stress?  (Read 4454 times)
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Love is Patient, Love is Kind... 1 Cor 13

WWW Awards
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »

Trauma should not be confused with stress.  Stress is an inevitable component of everyone's life. Trauma is an experience that induces an abnormally intense and prolonged stress response.
tnrthoma
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:27:34 PM »

Linda,
isn't stress & anxiety intermingled at some point? I always had anxiety about being stressed over our situation.
Hey, I am almost off my antidepresssants!! Grin Grin

L, theresa
adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Love is Patient, Love is Kind... 1 Cor 13

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »

See reply topic titled re:anxiety symptoms.
Don M
Duke /Duchess

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:02 AM »

Hi tnrthoma;
   I think I see the distinction, so I'll try to express it.  Maybe Linda will have to come back and correct me   happy8

Stress is the push and pull that sometimes try to tear us appart, make us feel inadequate.  Sometimes guilt for not always being perfect can add to the original stress and make it huge.

I think the distinction with Trauma is that both may start or have many of the same external events and other people emotions, but a Stress reaction is within some balance with what is happening, it passes and we are able to calm down again.

If the stress is unable to pass (repeated small things) or so big it triggers our reactions over and over again even when there is no real external event or emotional situation like the original one, then Trauma tries to describe how this has changed us and often made it difficult or impossible to resolve the issue into something we can accept and then move on.

From the years of your saga, I am sure you have accumulated much more than just a case of temporary stress and it would be meaningless to ask you to "relax and let it go".  In fact a social worker saying that might well be a trigger for another round of trauma reactions.
tnrthoma
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »

Don,
Thanks!

In our situation, it has gotten temporarily "off balance" Not because of RAD but because I broke my hip ( osteoporosis- genetic.) Working with the state again to help pay my Hospital bills ( which are HUGE!!!) but we will survive. We did before- we will again.

Have a very ( had ) a hard time doing, when a s.w. or State therp ( RTC) would say "relax & trust in your future. Your son is doing what he can..." We knew better & would soon get a phone call that he had run away - again. We DID learn to relax & trust IN US as our son is in Foster Care & will soon be 18. ( not coming home- our choice) Forgive me- he can come home on Holidays , but no sleepovers--- yet. Trust must be built on both sides.

I guess I experienced a trauma ( with hip) & now am stressed due to the current financial picture?Huh?Huh? Twas a rather nasty break & surgery was postponed for 2 days. Think I should have ben given a baby after all that pain!!!! I am up & walking- look like Charlie Chaplin walking tho or a penguin--lol!!!!

Can you imagine if our son were home & the small- everyday things he did complete with rages?Huh???

Oh & our Cafe was broken into- the $$$ stole. Everyone knew the "kids of interest." A few of them were our sons "friends." IF we & the police are right- my husband will press charges as they are all 16 & 17. One in that group grew up ( next door neighbor till we moved out of town) & his mom never believed me about ds when we talked. My son almost hit the other kid in the head & all she could say is "Boys will be boys, you have to let them be, theresa." Many other stories but always the non believer till her son threw a rock thru my husband's plate glass door  ( of the Cafe) with a POLICEMAN watching him & he denied it ofcourse. Police wanted him too press charges & his dad came to his rescue- his step dad, but  " This boy of mine will pay back every cent to me but I will pay you." The police & my dh didn't exactly believe the stepdad but had no say. Least we did get our door fixed right away!

L, theresa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: