Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
April 19, 2024, 03:23:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the NEW forum for Trauma Headquarters and ADSG!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shalom... the true meaning  (Read 28135 times)
drpjn
Well Known

Mood:

Awards
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:02:29 AM »

Good everybody,

Once again, not quite sure where to post this, so I aimed here.

Somebody asked me why I always say "shalom"; why don't I just say peace like most English speakers do? I thought about it and, well, here is what I wish to share about that word;

Shalom means so much more than just “peace”. While it is true that it can mean “peace” and even “hello” and “goodbye”, the Hebrew word "shalom" is steeped in much deeper meaning.

It is important to remember that while most western languages only link a form and sound to each letter of the alphabet, the Hebrew language also has a meaning assigned to each letter of its aleph-bet (which is what eventually makes up the meaning of the word). This leads to words beyond just a spoken pronunciation in Hebrew. Each word expresses a deeper meaning rooted in emotions and intent.

Shalom carries a root significance of “harmony, wellness, contentment, completeness, wholeness, well being” (and much more). Therefore, when I say "shalom", it is not only a greeting of peace, but also to wish upon you a state of tranquillity which can only come from being complete and content in the Creator – from being in harmony with Him.

There is no single word in any western language that can convey all that the word “shalom” conveys, and that is why I use the Hebrew word SHALOM!

The following is a beautiful example;
עוֹשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם בִּמְרוֹמָיו, הוּא יַעֲשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם עַלֵינוּ, וְעַל כָּל יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן
(Oseh shalom bim’romav, hu ya'aseh shalom aleynu, v'al kol Yisra’el ve'imru ahmein), which translates into English as;
He who makes peace (harmony, completeness, etc.) in the High Places, He will make peace (wholeness, wellness, contentment, etc.) for us and for all of Yisra’el, and let us say ahmein.

I hope this sheds a bit more light on a tiny word and why I use it  thumbsup

Shalom
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:07:24 AM by drpjn » Logged

Sweetpea DD16 (Dad's bio)
RAD DD13 (Mom's bio, my AD, but call her DD!

You cannot expect to learn the Truth of YHVH if you keep clinging to your own beliefs. Empty yourself so that He can fill you with His Truth.
Bizzziemom
Global Moderator
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »

Shalom is regularly used by pastors here.

A twist in the story of shalom....here in the deep south....

Hubby is half Irish/half Italian, looks Irish.  His Italian great grandmother, little bitty woman of maybe 5 feet in height was in church.  
Catholic mass, early on one Sunday morning in the middle to late '60s just as the Catholic church was changing the mass to English rather that Latin.  Old folks didn't approve, especially from a YOUNG priest.  
Upon completion of the mass the priest bid the congregation "shalom".  Hubby's great grandmother stood up and shaking her hand at the priest said,......"what the hella you mean SHOVE OFF!?".   laughing6

Shalom was then explained to the congregation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:04:11 AM by Bizzziemom » Logged

bizzziemom
no bios; 5 adopted (3 RAD, grown and gone) at home is Angel Son 24 Down Syndrome and 7 yo AD "prinCESS" Hortense (FASD/ADHD/ODD/auditory processing disorder). 
Add http://  in front of all these...  www.ffcmh.org    www.fasstar.com       www.pacer.org    www.specialeducationadvisor.com
Truebluemom
Global Moderator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

Thanks for that beautiful explanation drpjn.

Bizzie -  laughing6 laughing6 laughing6

ds26  - bio (sweetpea)
dd23 - adopted (rad/borderline personality - sociopath)
dd21 - adopted (mildly rad, bipolar, fae?)
ds20 - adopted (sweet pea)

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: