Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 28, 2024, 06:48:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness."  George Orwell

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Dispelling Melancholy"  (Read 7609 times)
Hope
Marquis/Marquess

Mood:

Awards
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »

Wanted to share this encouragement...

Alan Paton says,"I wish to place on record that I am in unrepayable debt to Francis of Assisi."
Why would this champion of the oppressed in apartheid South Africa say that? "When I pray his prayer, or even remember it," Paton explains, "my melancholy is dispelled, my self-pity comes to an end, my faith is restored, because of this majestic conception of what the work of a disciple should be."
For most of us, the prayer of St. Francis is familiar: "Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.". Paton, facing challenges beyond most of ours, found it not just familiar but life changing.
"So majestic is this conception," he testifies,"that one dare to no longer be sorry for oneself.  This world ceases to be one's enemy.  Life is no longer nasty, mean, brutish, and short, but the time one needs to make it less nasty and mean.   We are brought back instantly t the reality of us faith, that we are not passive recipients but active instruments."

AD18 RAD, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD, ODD
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us... Rom 5:3-5
justine
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

The voice of reason....gone amok

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »

That is beautiful, Hope.   As a fan of both St. Francis and Alan Paton, I can only agree.   "We are brought back instantly to the reality of our faith, that we are not passive recipients but active instruments."

bio dd35  freakishly sweet 
bio ds32  recklessly loving
bio ds27  frightfully kind
adopted sibling group at ages 10, 6 and 4
worstrad30  adopted at age 10, left family at age 18
ads27  FAE/rad, we're still looking for a conscience, estranged
add24 P/A Rad.  Unattached, wants the family bene
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: