Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 19, 2024, 05:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "When you're through changing, you're through."  Bruce Barton

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The body keeps score  (Read 39670 times)
shroon
Baron/Baroness

Mood:

Awards
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »

The Body Keeps Score by Bessekk van Der Klock, 
Published 2014
ISBN 978-0-14-312-174-1
Table of contents.
Part 1 The discovery of Trauma
Part 2 This is your brain on Trauma
Part 3 The minds of Children
Part 4 The imprint of Trauma
Part 5 Paths to Recovery

I have this checked out from the library as an audio book. It has been informative and insightful. I will likely purchase it in hard copy or kindle when I get a new tablet to be able to absorb it both via listening and reading. The author does a good job of explaining the effects of trauma without getting overly technical in terms. While not completely anti-medication, he speaks a lot of how since pysche meds came on the market research into more permanent solutions are often left in the wake of treating the symptoms with meds. He also expresses great frustration the alphabet diagnosis that the DSM does. Multiple labels to get treatment while many of them ignore that it has a common root of childhood trsauma.

The paths to recovery include scientific studies to support what he is saying and/or will advise if they have done it but not in control group to validate results. Much of his work has been with veterans and adults with childhood trauma. Some with children. He also indicates that ONE treatment method is usually not successful by itself but people may need more than one method. 
The paths to recovery include EMDR, yoga neurofeedback, self leadership, etc.

I don't really have any negatives to say about the book. Insightful for me. Of course, the book includes success stories. When there are limited success or lack of success as stated in the stats- there is not further info on why it did not work for that person which you may truly never know.

A worthy read.

4 Adult Kiddos- All doing good.
AD11 RAD; foster/adopted at 6. previously known as our granddaughter
AD7; Sweet Pea/adopted at 4. 1/2 sisters
Sherrie1003
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

God, grant me the strength to get through this.

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:00 AM »

Yes, I read it and may have made a similar suggestion. It is a very deep book and requires much time to digest what he says. For those who would prefer a lighter read try "The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog". The information is similar but less in depth and yet conveys the same ideas.

Sherrie

"Sometimes the clearest evidence that God has not deserted you is not that you are successfully past your trials, but that you are still on your feet in the midst of it." Dale Ralph Davis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: