Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 28, 2024, 04:50:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness."  George Orwell

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Gilly Hopkins  (Read 22559 times)
AlsoDad
Global Moderator
Marquis/Marquess

Mood:

Awards
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »

Scholastic Books
Katherine Paterson ("Jacob have I loved", "Bridge to Terabithia", both Newberry Medal winners- 2 time recipient of the National Book Award for Children's Literature, several novels listed on the American Library Association's Notable Children's Books)
0-590-61389-8
148 pages, paperback
$3.95

Found this book last weekend & just finished reading it in a couple of hours.

Wow.

The book is dedicated:
"For Mary from her real and adopted mother with love"

There is enough meat and bones here for all of us parents but it's geared for kids to be able to follow and grasp (told mostly from the child's point of view). In the first couple of chapters there are a LOT of things that this kid thinks that I'd like to Quote here, but y'know-"No part of this book may be reproduced, blah blah...."

It's the story of a girl abandoned near birth, bouncing through the System, growing more hardened on every stop and learning how to more effectively sabotage placements. She starts to soften up a little on one stop, only to realize that she has already cut her own throat (figuratively speaking, of course) and thrown away what might have been her only chance of escaping RAD for a chance meeting with her glorified birth mother. I don't wanna give away the whole story, so lets just say that it didn't turn out like she had dreamed (but rather, like most of us know it will). Plenty of lying, stealing, forcing back emotion, and general RADdiness to go around. This one is going to the top of dd's "to read" list.

....here's what you see on the back cover, that peaks your interest to buy the book:

Gilly Hopkins is nobody's kid.

The one thing Gilly wants is a home of her own. If only she could find her mother, Courtney, and live with her. Instead, she finds herself in another ugly Foster Home, the responsibility of frumpy Maime Trotter, who is almost illiterate. How can The Great Gilly Hopkins be expected to tolerate Maime, or a freaky foster brother named William Ernest? Or a poetry loving black man who lives next door but is considered part of the "family"?

At first Gilly despises them all. Then she finds herself being slowly drawn into their circle of love. But if there's anything her short life has taught her, it's that a person's got to be tough. Determined not to care, Gilly engineers her own rescue. Unfortunately, the rescue doesn't turn out the way Gilly plans and she realizes too late that she really never wanted to be rescued at all- she just wanted to be wanted.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:15:25 PM by AlsoDad » Logged
Jeannie
Duke /Duchess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »

I've read the book, but in my pre-RAD-awareness days.  I'll have to reread it!  Thanks for the heads up!

Bio-daughters 30 & 28, bio-son now in heaven, dear son 14 (healing from alphabet soup disorder)
justine
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

The voice of reason....gone amok

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, Also dad...i will check it out!   wave

bio dd35  freakishly sweet 
bio ds32  recklessly loving
bio ds27  frightfully kind
adopted sibling group at ages 10, 6 and 4
worstrad30  adopted at age 10, left family at age 18
ads27  FAE/rad, we're still looking for a conscience, estranged
add24 P/A Rad.  Unattached, wants the family bene
anne
King/Queen

Mood:

Just breathe!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »

Wow! So glad you spotted it. Thanks!  Dd15 is going to do a lot of book reading this summer and so am I!
 happy8 coffee2
anne

"Good question! Next Question!
"His grace is sufficient...always strength comes for the task."
"Hope on, Hope ever!"
"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to!"
Darlins are bio sibs -Dd20 (RAD, GAD-NOS, PTSD, Bipolar? ABC?), Ds18 (AD,CP,PDD-NOS,PTSD); adopted at 6 and 3.5 yr
TeriPDX
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »

Saw this thread while in lurker status and recognized the title of the book from my elementary teaching/homeschooling days.  I'd never read it though so I put it on hold at the library.  I finished it in a couple of days and liked it very much.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.  It was a good read and gave me some insight into DS's RAD.  TeriPDX

DS20: RAD, FAE, ADHD; Adopted from Romania at age 2.
TeriPDX
Earl/Countess

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »

Thought it was interesting that this book popped up on Pinterest today.  I followed the link to the website to see where it was coming from; it was one of the Sonlight Curriculum literature recommendations.

DS20: RAD, FAE, ADHD; Adopted from Romania at age 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: